Using lava rocks in a propane forge?

Hey all, I’m in the tool gathering stage of blacksmithing and I’m planning on building my own forge. I’m thinking of building a propane one because I can get the parts fairly easily through work, but I also like the traditional look/concept of coal and wood forges. I was just wondering if anyone has ever combined the two and made a propane forge that uses lava rocks or something along those lines to act as the coals? I have no good reason to try this other than curiosity haha and I can’t seem to find anything online about it. So I thought I would ask around first. Thanks!

Welcome @Ben! I haven’t heard of that before. Honestly, if you are just starting out, a single burner propane forge can serve you for a long time.

@Grant I think that’s what I’ll end up doing, I just tend to overthink and overcomplicate everything haha

I’m also wondering about this.

I “built” a simple little open forge:

that I used a few times with BBQ pellets, but it didn’t get hot enough for real 'smithing. Even with forced air from a hair dryer:

So, instead of trying charcoal, I’ll try fitting an old expansion burner I have:
expansion-burner-50mm-gas-equipment-465_583x583

but I need to sit my working pieces on something, and was thinking that Scoria (volcanic rocks) would be better than mesh or a steel rod grill.

@Ben, what did you end up using?