Tell me about my anvil

Tell me about my anvil. Markings are not readable. Supposed to be Civil War era. What about the intention on top back?

0 Likes

It weighs just over 100 lvs

0 Likes

100 pounds

0 Likes

Looks like a beaut, Jonah! Seen a lot of use. Quite the relic, there. That large missing piece in the heel of the anvil isn’t terribly uncommon, unfortunately just constant use (and sometimes, abuse) can knock off a piece of the hardened plate on the top of the anvil. Looks like you got it cleaned up real nice. If I had to wager a guess, I’d say a Peter Wright.

Hard to tell an age on it, without any markings - at least for me, anyhow. Maybe someone else on the forum can help.

0 Likes

Thanks. I’m a retired railroad carman. I’ve swung a few sledges in my life, but not really into the smithing trade. A friend sold it to me for $75, so I had to buy it. Thanks for the input

0 Likes

Great price I’d say :slight_smile: Gonna put it to use some perhaps?

0 Likes

As soon as I can find a Cyprus stump I like, I’ll use the stump to mount it on and work it in my shop. I was told it came from George’s Blacksmith shop in Damascus Georgia, and had been used in an area blacksmith shop since the Civil War.

0 Likes