Refractory cement as a forge insulator?

I’ve seen several videos on building my own forge. The question is can I use a refractory cement for a forge the way it is used in diy foundries? My thought is that if it works for melting metal in a bucket it should work in a vertical position as a forge.

Or should I use the kaowool with the refractory cement coating? And what’s the reasoning behind using the wool over just a thich wall of the cement.

Thanks in advance

Hey welcome to the forums @artfullyrogue! As far as I’m aware, the kaowool will insulate a whole lot better than cement, and that’s the reason for using 2" of kaowool instead of just straight up 2" of cement.

That being said, cement would work just fine - I’ve been at forge ins where its just a pile of fire brick that sort of makes a chamber with forge burners blasting into the chamber. That works fine too, if you’re concerned about efficiency, kaowool will help you. If you just want to get a forge up and going and all you have is refractory (rated to the correct forging temp of course), then you can of course just go with that.

Visit Blacksmith Gifts for shirts, caps, and more | Buy, sell, or trade Blacksmith Tools at Blacksmith Trading Post

Created and Maintained by Little Acorn