New (to me) Thermolyne furnace

Picked up this new furnace on craigslist last week for $40. I had to trust the seller that it worked as he didn’t have a way to plug it in and test it ( sound familiar Grant :slight_smile:. I got home and switched out a plug and luckily it fired right up! This little baby should really help with heat treating and tempering.

0 Likes

The next step is to understand what the dial means on the right side. I turned it up to 40 and that seems to equate to 1000F but the temp seemed to fluctuate a little bit.

0 Likes

Awesome find and a deal I’d say!

Even if that dial doesn’t work I just recently built a high temperature themometer for my forge with PID display, about $70 total cost.

Yeah it’s a little scary getting it things that can’t be plugged in and tested but sometimes those are the best deals - hence the $40!

That is definitely gonna make the heat treats a breeze.

0 Likes

Ohh I was confused and thought the temperature wasn’t working that well - did it fluctuate just a bit or like… 50+ degrees? I’d say you are good if its around the 50 degree mark… That is damn close.

0 Likes

Is its intended purpose heat treating?

Nice deal!

0 Likes

I believe the temp gauge is the problem so maybe adding a new meter would help. I first need to just start using the unit and understanding it’s quirks before making any adjustments.

I believe these are primarily used for heat treating, annealing and tempering. But you could use it for any job where you need to heat something up to a specific temp. It would be terrible for forging because it takes it’s time heating up. I’m talking about one heat every half hour or so :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

What’s on the inside of it, elements like a kiln has?

0 Likes