New Member Introductions!

Where do you live? Gastonia, NC
How did you get started? Always been interested in craft skills, had a week off from work and made the jump
How long have you been in the craft? About a month now
What has been your most proud project to date? Embarrassigly shaping some rebar into a knife that broke and building a propane burner(yet to try it)

Howdy, My Name is Roger Hepworth
I have been Making blades and metal working on some level since I was 12.

My proudest project so far it the first knife I made.

Iā€™m barely getting in to actual blacksmithing. I just made my anvil out of a railroad tie. Soā€¦ Iā€™m basically a Newbie here.

Hi I am in Tucson az just starting donā€™t k have a favorite project yet still building my shop

1 Like

Hey-Iā€™m in North Thailand
Started metalwork because quality tools arenā€™t available here and needed logging and carving tools-
havenā€™t been long in the craft and just now building a proper forge
many things are not available-so home build is the only option

1 Like

Hello Ladies and Germs. Iā€™m John. I have lived in NWPA (more specifically Linesville PA) for the past 20 or so years. I havenā€™t yet had a chance to being construction on my forge, but I have the burners built and own the materials for the forge. Just a matter of getting it done reallyā€¦ I had planned on getting into knife making, but iā€™ll write the rest of the story there in my buy/sell/trade post shortly.

Glad to meet everyone here. Thanks for reading about me.

John

Hey all, Iā€™m from norther Arizona, 26 years old, and have been blacksmithing off and on since I was around ten. Now mind you, i was a ten year old that was raised to sing and dance with Mary Poppins and sew. My older sister when I was 11 told me to get her a phillips screwdriver and I didnā€™t know what that was. My mother raised me obviously. So I had a lot to learn. I honestly donā€™t remember what got me started, but I do remember stacking some bricks, building a fire, fanning it with a chunk of cardboard, and getting my first cherry heat. Used a framing hammer and a rock. I made knives since that point, although I steered away from blacksmithing to the removal method. But 3 years ago, I had a coworker tell me about his ten year old son forging with a small propane forge they built together. He went home and made me one. He asked 100 bucks for it and I was back to blacksmithing. I smith on most of my downtime, but have to keep a more steady job for now. I made and sold a knife to another coworker that I am pretty proud of. Railroad spike that hardened beautifully. Brass guard with mesquite handles and copper pins.

Hey all, my name is Erik.

Where do you live? Orange County NY

How did you get started? Literally just getting into it. Always been a fan since I first saw a blacksmith at a Renn Faire as a kid.

How long have you been in the craft? Exactly 0 years, months and days. Have yet to attempt to make something. Been focused on reading up a bit and sourcing the tools/equipment on the cheap. Got a massive brake forge from Facebook marketplace with a blower a while back for $50, and luckily I was just gifted an anvil that had belonged to my wifeā€™s grandfather, so I should be all set to at least give it a go.

What has been your most proud project to date? While I have yet to make anything out of metal, Iā€™ve been making wooden swords, wands, daggers, hammers etc for several years, and been able to sell at shows and on Etsy. Itā€™s nice to have a hobby that helps finance itself.

New to Blacksmithing but want to learn as much as I can. Iā€™m From Clovis California. I got interested in knife making because my wife wanted me to make her a Damascus knife. Iā€™ve worked in Industrial Maintenance for almost 30 years and have lots of experience in Machining, welding and Fabricating. I want to take this to the next level and begin to make knives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™ve already made a forge and have made a few billets but havenā€™t been successful in actually forge welding anything yet. Need advice on a hydraulic press that wonā€™t break the bank.

Ken

Gidday!

• Live in Sydney, Australia.
  • Had to create some imitation bolt/button heads for a customer, and none of the local foundrys wanted to talk to him.
  • Not at the ā€œcraftsmanā€ level yet. Started 2 weeks ago.
  • The job turned out OK, but I think Iā€™m more proud of the die, and ā€œrecycled materialsā€ forge :grinning:

65698949673__820E6614-E2C6-4058-B7AF-1E650ECFDCA4

IMG_2128

IMG_2109

IMG_2092

IMG_2099

Hello from the south shores of Lake Superior! I have been a blacksmith for thirty yrs primarily doing architectural work with a bit of tool and knife making thrown in , interest include learning and sharing the trade .