New Member Introductions!

Because I feel it’s nice for everyone to respond to an individual member - I created a new forum where new members can introduce themselves. This way, this one topic doesn’t get out of control.

I’m locking this topic just to make sure it doesn’t get used anymore - If you are a new member, please just create a new topic introducing yourself :slight_smile:

sorry read the post after

Where do you live? Austin, TX

How did you get started? Was a structural steel welder for 7 years, quit to start a furniture making business. It’s going well and wanted to get into smithing to give my pieces that extra detail. At least that’s what I tell my wife, not that i’ll be making knives all winter.

How long have you been in the craft? I guess today is the first day. About to hardwire the induction forge and put together a water heat exchanger for it.

What has been your most proud project to date? None yet, but I’m excited once I finish this and the CNC plasma table what they can do together

Where do you live? Upstate NY

How did you get started? A good question, but who doesn’t like fire and big hammers!

How long have you been in the craft? It’s a complicated question. In some sense, about 45 years, but in reality just a few months.

What has been your most proud project to date? From a pure blacksmithing stand point, I’ve only made some of the required tools and a few hook knives.

Where do you live? South Coast UK :uk:

How did you get started? Wanting to create things as my day to day job involves fixing things designed by others.

How long have you been in the craft? Just starting off to be honest joined the forum for any friendly advice and to chat with like minded people.

What’s been your most proud project to date? I’ve only made a few leaf hooks and played around with some rebar. Would like to get some techniques under my belt and try improve them.

Where do you live?
Holland, zwijndrecht

How did you get started?
I build a small coal forge to melt aluminum and when I ran out of aluminium I started forging and I liked that more then melting aluminium

How long have you been in the craft?
I started blacksmithing about 3 years ago

What has been your most proud project to date?
I made a knife from a old file, I made a wooden Handel and I think it is really nice

I live in Holland and I am 16 years old, I probably wil make a couple gramer mistakes

Good evening (well it is here at least)
Where do you live? Wales, UK
How did you get started? Had a days experience with a pro in St Clears, courtesy of my wife so she’s got noone to blame but herself, and am fortunate enough to have a mate with a forge in his garden.
How long have you been in the craft? A few months
What has been your most proud project to date? Although I knocked out quite a bit under instruction, all of which I was very pleased with, I guess it has to be the dinner triangle, camping set and cooking tripod I’ve done for my wife’s scout troop.

Where do you live? Georgia, USA
How did you get started? Watching other create beautiful and interesting things with fire and a hammer
How long have you been in the craft? 1 month
What has been your most proud project to date?nothing of note just yet

Hello!

I live in the Rocky Mountains of Montana.
I haven’t started blacksmithing yet; I’m interested in learning the primitive techniques.
I’ve only recently started looking into the craft, but I’m having some difficulty finding what I seek.
I haven’t a most proud project of my own yet, but my first one will probably be a hammer haha! XD

1 Like

Where do you live?
Nervesa della Battaglia, Veneto, Italy

How did you get started ?
I’ve been always interested in blacksmithing, so one day I bought the cheapest forge on the market, grabbed some hammers and took a ww1 artillery shell as an anvil and started working.

How long have you been in the craft?
One very discontinued year

What has been your most proud project to date?

An unfinished iron dagger is the only thing I can remotely call a project.

1 Like

Where do I live: Johnstown PA
How did I get started: I was just fiddling around with a piece of scrap metal and heated it with a fire.
How long have I been in the craft: I’m fresh as a daisy. :wink: I’m just starting out.
What is my most proud project to date: I have made some tools hand forged as well as a bottle opener. Like I said I’m fresh as a daisy.

Hi everyone. I am Abby from Texas . I am realt interested to get into blacksmithing and I am here to learn from others and get advice also hopeful to find someone in my city who can help get me started :slight_smile:

I’m in the same boat. Getting my feet wet so to speak. Do you have an anvil? I bought one from Amazon that is of poor quality. I might drive to Kenndal Texas to pick one up.

Primitive techniques? So a clay/coal forge instead of propane eh? I mean propane makes things a bit quicker and easier but getting the coal roaring is also fun.

Hi my name is Jade and I have a fear of eating muffins in public. Figured this would be a good place to pick up tricks n stuff. Y’all seem nice.

How did you get into Blacksmithing? You have an anvil?

Hi my name is Joe i live in northern Utah, I met a bladesmith by chance and spent a year learning from him, he bought a new anvil and gave me his old one, iv been forging ever since.

I spend my free time trying to look up metalurgy (outside of the focused curriculum)

My name is Chris

Where am I from?
Bedford, VA

How did I get started?
I have always had an interest in moving metal. I have built several coal gorges over the years but presently I do not have one ready. I’m planning to build a brick forge with a natural clay pot this time around. The last one I made was a ground forge, the blower I had made from an old vacuum cleaner, it works great but burns coal very quickly, I combated this somewhat with a slide gate over the intake. The motor gets super hot now so I don’t think that it’ll last long in that particular setup. I’m going to redesign to fit the brick forge with a longer air supply line and see if that works better without the slide gate.

I can make a mean metal flower lol, my “un-started” project that I plan to start lol is going to be a bearded axe made from a 3” slice of railroad track, my anvil is crafted from the same piece of railroad track.

I can’t wait to get back to pounding metal!

Hey y’all - I’ve touched on the site a few times and decided to join. Don’t beat up too bad since I’m a little new to the forum scene. I live on the Oklahoma side of Fort Smith, AR. I learned about welding from my dad around 12 years old. Actually got my first real schooling on metal around 1972 in FFA Vo-Ag class. Actually did some foundry, forging, machine shop and advanced welding in college at NSU in the 80’s. Being big into motorcycles my whole life, I’ve been making stuff since I can remember.

Slowly starting to get into axe and knife making scene. I bought a new TIG welder when I retired a couple of years ago. Relearning welding aluminum and stainless. Currently building a propane forge, just need to finish welding it up. I haven’t been able to find my grandfathers blacksmith anvil. My dad used it at his work and it got lost or “borrowed” and never returned. I have 3 large slabs of 3” A572 I use to hammer on. I own 3 red welders, stick, mig and tig along with a Miller 875 plasma cutter. And of course the usual oxy/acety combos.

Seems the projects in most demand are my horseshoe creations. The simple stuff, especially my Crosses, initials, etc is what everyone wants. Lots of wall hangers and different style crosses, misc yard art have a waiting list. Anywho, thanks for reading. I enjoy reading all the other posts and look forward to following all the discussions. I learn something every time I click on the site. Happy trails, Mike

Hello, I’m Dave, in central PA, USA.
I’ve wanted to try forging since I was a kid, started about a month ago.
Getting frustrated with the basics, so I joined to find out what I’m doing wrong.
Cheap setup, single burner gas forge, Harbor Freight anvil, a few hammers and tongs.
I’ll get into the details when I find the appropriate thread.