Mayer bros. power hammer restoration

Hoping for some tips for restoring an old Mayer Bros. power hammer. Specifically I am looking for insight in mounting the motor. I have a 2hp electric motor to use on it. The plan is to have about a 3 inch pulley on the motor to the close to 13 inch pulley on the hammer. Hopefully that will get me in the right range for rpms, but my hold up is on how to mount the motor to the hammer. The plan is to use two snap v belts on it. I’ve seen people mount the motor on the side of the hammer but that requires drilling into the cast iron frame. I’ve also seen people mount the motor above the fly wheel but they do that using the bolts that hold the Babbitt bearings on and the bearings on my hammer are cast into the frame. Also about anchoring it to the floor should i add wood under it or some kind of rubber shock absorption mat between it and the slab?

A friend of mine bought a power hammer off eBay a while back and there wasn’t a place to mount the motor. We made a steel shelf to mount the motor with using 1/2” plate and forged bracket supports that were designed to bolt onto existing bolts on the power hammer frame. We mounted the motor on the top of the hammer, I wish I had a picture, it was ugly as sin but worked great, functionality is king :hammer_and_pick:

Hey welcome to the forums @speakin_easy!

Hmm - I’m not sure how you can get around it without either drilling or welding to the frame if you know someone who can weld cast.

If I were in your spot, I’d probably put a hole through it for the bolts - I would prefer the motor over the top but that doesn’t seem the wisest choice if your bearings are cast into the frame.

Can we see some photos?

Also as for anchoring, I have a friend with a 50lb Mayer (@Javos_Ironworks) that bolted it to some wood and used a maniac (cement) saw to cut around it just in case. I’ve also seen railroad ties used for ones. Of course you’ll get the best performance bolting it right to a reinforced concrete block, but depends on how permanent it will be. I would avoid the rubber shock absorption mat, that to me seems like you’ll be losing too much power.

You could also try to have a couple large plats on either side of the frame and bolt them together with some grade 8s sort of like a clamp, but I can’t imagine that would stand the test of time.