Looking to set up a small shop forging woodworking supplies

Hello all,

New to the forum and the craft.

I am primarily a woodworker, and I build furniture and stuff using tools and techniques from the 1800’s/early 1900’s

I would like to get a small garage set up where i would be able to forge things like nails, holdfasts, maybe some decorative hardware.

I have a desire to do things the old fashioned way, and would prefer antique equipment over new.

I found a forge with a blower yesterday, but I did not buy it yet. It is a tub style cast iron, and they were asking $225. I dont know how to judge these things if they are useable or not. This got me thinking about ventilation, sourcing coal, and I now realize these have to be lined with clay to protect the bowl.

All this has made me think maybe a propane forge is better for my needs? Where i can run off a grill tank and can shut the heat right off after running a batch of nails?

I also only have a railroad track anvil, which i think may be ok for what i am looking to do for now

I have a 4 lb blacksmith hammer, but i will need to buy a lighter one. I heard one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is using too heavy of a hammer.

I have been using mapp gas and fire bricks to heat up random hardware in my garage to play with, but have had very poor results.

Nails are the no 1 thing I want to start making, and i assume i would be better off buying a nail header starting out than making one?

I appreciate any and all advice. Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but i would like to work as traditionally yet practically as I can if that makes sense.

Thank you!