Can someone experienced help me?

Hello!
My question is: can I get away with using this random 1"x2" bar stock clamped to the top of this wood stove as an anvil/work surface? The top of the stove is aprox. 3/8" thick plate.

I am just starting out and wanting to blacksmith. I will only be focusing on smaller items such as nails, hooks, bottle openers, small things to practice the craft, etc. No Viking battle axes or fancy iron scroll gates yet. So no worries about holding up under pressure, just inquiring as to see if this is wise or not from experienced blacksmiths and if someone has a better solution that they might see for my situation.

Thank you in advance!
Sneezy

The tapered feet of the stove are the weakest point. They will musroom, or drive into the concrete causing cracks.

Good point! No pun intended. Would sandwiching the legs with angle iron and a 4"x4" of 3/8" plate under each foot be enough? What other potential problems could there be? Concave the top?

I would put that flat bar on a big log or post if available. Just cause if you miss and hit the stove you will damage it as well as the sound would be deafening on a hollow stove.

Thank you! I can imagine the noise, I planned on wearing hearing protection. Unfortunately I do not believe I have any post, or log to mount to. I will go take a better look out in one of my buildings, but chances are slim.

Sn33zus is right, although it may make seem like it’d be good with the weight/size of that stove, you’re gonna be better off getting a stump and having the piece on that.

If I were you I’d get a log that is about 4/5 the size of the steel, drive a large (largest that will fit) nail into that back hole into the log, put a couple more nails on either side just to prevent the plate from spinning/moving when hitting, and have 1/5 of that piece overhang the log. (might take some testing with the balance of the log and overhang). You’ll want the over hang.

In fact now that I think about it too, it’d be nice to flip that steel around and have that hole hanging over so you could drift holes a little easier.

At any rate… get that thing on a log will be much better.

Definitely! Great thinking, I am hoping to find something I stashed somewhere but I might end up having to get a couple 4x4s, fix them together and call it done. I over think so much, it hinders me. Then I won’t have to bother making any leg/feet brackets for the forge.
I overthink so much, it hinders me.
Thank you very much so far everyone!

Here it is, the fruits of my learning…
Besides obvious flaws, I couldn’t ask for better first tries!
I will definitely be mounting my “anvil” squarely but for today it was a simple setup to just roll out some practice pieces. Even though it took a long time, these look amazing to me and look forward to venture on. But resting is definitely in order.
Cheers!

Just get you a log/stump and mount your bar stock. Hell a couple of 4"×4" would work. I started with a little cheap 15 lbs anvil on 4×4s

Hey hey! On your way Sn33zus.

To me, those tapers look great. Nice work, keep it up. Find a bit of a longer piece of steel and you can start making S hooks and making something functional and pretty!

Is that wood you’re using in there? Did you heat that larger round bar up in the wood? I’m surprised it got up to temperature if you did!

Good on ya, keep at it.

Great work

Very nice work, and if you happen too have a sledge hammer head laying around they will also make and excellent anvil. If you happen to be passing by yard sales you might find one for a few bucks but be sure its heavier then 10# it will make a great hitting surface, as the face is already hardened and can take stronger hits and move the steel a little easier.

Hello everyone!
Thank you!!! I am still pretty excited about all of this!!!
These were both from longer bars so I could have done S hooks but I didn’t want to have to stress over matching the ends yet. Plus, I would like to heat these back up and flatten out the ends to make coat hooks or to hang keys or whatever.
I will probably start on S hooks next, then I would like to venture into twists.
I just acquired a couple handfuls of chisels, files, odd and ends, long handled tin snips and long handled what looks to be old nippers. I didn’t think to snap a shot to share (edit: photo added), but I am looking to turn these old things into helpful tools I will need. Especially tongs :smiley:
Yes, this was all heated with wood. I used the exhaust from my shop vac to blow into the stove. I was learning how to keep constant fuel in the stove while trying to play with heat and hot spots. Where to put the metal and getting the metal to heat up in the spot(s) I needed. It was a pleasant first time! I’ve been learning a lot and asking as many questions to best understand the reasons or the ways and I know the only way to get anywhere is to keep moving. Keep trying and practicing. I’m not looking to go in any direction yet, I do have an interest in gates/fences but also wouldn’t mind making a knife or an axe someday but I’m not jumping into anything until I have gone through the basics and am ready for the next lesson.
I’ll be happy when I’m ready to start making fireplace tool sets and campfire sets with nice looking handles!
Again, I thank everyone for the pats on the back. I need it a lot at this point, been going through tough times. As well as the great advice! You guys are amazing!