Blacksmith question, not sure where else to ask

I know very little about Blacksmithing but I’ve always wanted to know why Will Turner had that spinning thing with swords on it in Pirates of the Caribbean in his blacksmith shop, the piece of equipment with the donkey hooked up to it. I could not find this answer anywhere on the internet and I’ve always been curious, hopefully you guys don’t mind me asking here! Thank you :slight_smile:

So I had to quick check just to see what you were referring to :slight_smile: I think it’s a hollywood idea. It looks like tools are up on the wheel that the donkey is turning, which seems like you’d be chasing tools down trying to find the right one so that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Then around the center are swords.

Honestly it looks like they just had the spinning thing and then they put swords and hammers all over the thing.

I don’t think there is any reason behind it other than cool factor.

I do believe that the donkey goes around to keep the bellow (air pump thingy) moving up and down and keeping the fire going hot as it is a charcoal fire and needs a constant air force on it. a more modern look on this would be a DIY charcoal forge with a hairdryer or shop vac blowing air into the fire.

I do believe that the donkey goes around to keep the bellow (air pump thingy) moving up and down and keeping the fire going hot as it is a charcoal fire and needs a constant air force on it. a more modern look on this would be a DIY charcoal forge with a hairdryer or shop vac blowing air into the fire.

I always thought it would be like storage and organization, like have differ kinds of swords or various levels of finish and the donkey keeps going til they find what they need